Opportunities and risks
Biodiversity is a pivotal aspect of sustainable business management. It is one of the factors determining a company’s success in its core activities, because it relates to the availability of key resources like water and energy and maintaining the environmental processes that go to determine that availability.
For businesses, then, active biodiversity policy is important for:
- Securing current and future activities and investments.
- Resource acquisition, quality and availability.
- Risk management and cost reduction.
- Exploiting opportunities: new products, innovation.
- Anticipating forthcoming legislation and guidelines.
Biodiversity also relates directly to:
- A company’s market position.
- Retaining customers and staff.
- Investor relations.
- Corporate Social Responsibility, a pro-active business culture, biodiversity as a positive legacy.